446 is a ferritic heat resisting steel useful up to 1100°C.
Approximate Composition – 26% Cr, 0.15% C, 0.2% N (Exact composition ranges vary between EN and ASTM standards).
This grade combines the following characteristics:
- Good oxidation resistance
- Excellent resistance to sulphidation particularly in reducing conditions. Much better than austenitic heat resisting grades due to absence of nickel
- Good resistance to molten copper, lead and tin
- Poor high temperature strength
- Weldable with austenitic electrodes
Glass making (float glass), metallurgical plant (copper processing), burners, annealing boxes, kiln linings, thermocouple tubes, injection nozzles