BSSA Starter Workshops
These half-day Starter Workshops will give you a comprehensive introduction to stainless steel, whether you’re new to the industry or just looking for a refresher on the basics.
Click here to jump down to the list of upcoming training events.
The topics covered in the Workshop are:
- What is Stainless Steel used for and why?
- How Stainless Steel was discovered?
- Why is Stainless Steel stainless?
- What is the structure of Stainless Steel?
- What types and grades of Stainless Steel are there?
- Is Stainless Steel non-magnetic?
- What are the mechanical properties of Stainless Steel?
- What does a test certificate mean?
- Why does Stainless Steel corrode?
- How are Stainless Steels selected?
- How is Stainless Steel made?
- How is Stainless Steel best fabricated?
So, if you want to know the answers to questions like:
What's the difference between austenitic and ferritic?
What is a N/mm2 ?
Why is 316 used for coastal applications?
Why does surface finish matter so much?
This is the Workshop for you.
The timetable for a typical workshop is from 10:00 to 15:30 with a break of 30 - 40 minutes for lunch. The material is presented in a variety of ways:
Lecture (with trainee participation)
Group Work and Presentations
To ensure that the right level of participation can take place, the workshop is restricted to a maximum of 16.
There is no formal qualification from attending the course. However, an informal multiple choice test will help you to check how much you have learned from the Workshop. A certificate will be issued on successful completion of the test.
The Workshops also provide an introduction to the Stainless Steel Specialist Course, suitable for those looking to develop their knowledge further.
The cost is £150 (+VAT) for members and £200 (+VAT) for non-members. Refreshments and lunch are included. (And don’t forget that you can pay by credit or debit card).
Starter Workshop delegates can order ‘Understanding Stainless Steel’ book for £30! Click here for more information about the book!
Upcoming Training Events
- Thu 27 Jun 2013 - BSSA Starter Workshop: An Introduction to Stainless Steel - EEF Engineers' House, Bristol (27/06/13)
- Tue 24 Sep 2013 - BSSA Starter Workshop: An Introduction to Stainless Steel - EEF Broomgrove, Sheffield (24/09/13)
- Tue 22 Oct 2013 - BSSA Starter Workshop: An Introduction to Stainless Steel - NMC, West Bromwich (22/10/13)
- Thu 28 Nov 2013 - BSSA Starter Workshop: An Introduction to Stainless Steel - EEF Broadway House, London (28/11/13)