Heat Treatment: Principles and Practice - 1 Day Course - West Bromwich (01/03/17)
Wednesday 1st March 2017
09:00 - 16:30
National Metalforming Centre (NMC), 47 Birmingham Road, West Bromwich B70 6PY
- This course suits managers and technicians working in QA and heat treatment of metals & metal products. It is also relevant to designers, specifiers & commercial people.
- The course aims to provide a grounding in the heat treatment regimes applied to common industrial metals and relates their properties to the microstructural changes induced by the treatments.
- Includes a comprehensive technical manual.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Understand the important structure-property relationships in ferrous and non ferrous metals and how heat treatment is used to modify structure and properties
- Appreciate the distinction between equilibrium phase, TTT and CCT diagrams (Fe-Fe3C phase diagram example)
- Understand how cooling rate influences steel hardness and gain familiarity with heat treatment regimes for steels and the microstructures that are developed
- Learn about hardenability and how quench severity, carbon content, grain size and other alloying elements influence it
- Know the important categories of non ferrous alloys and the typical heat treatments used to develop the required microstructure/properties
- Understand the basic principles of carburising/carbonitriding and nitriding/nitrocarburising and the effect these treatments have on surface structure and properties
- Appreciate the different furnace types used in heat treatment and how they are monitored and controlled
The cost is £190 (+VAT) for members and £250 (+VAT) for non-members. Refreshments and lunch are included. (And don’t forget that you can pay by credit or debit card).
For course content enquiries please contact our presenter Mike Lewus:-
Tel: 0114 292 2637 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For booking enquiries please contact Kate at the BSSA Office:-
Tel: 0114 292 2636 or Email: email@example.com.
Photographs: Front Cover - Vacuum Heat Treatment Facility, courtesy of Tamworth Heat Treatment, Back Cover - Plasma Nightriding Station, courtesy of Rubig GmbH