Benefits of Membership
The principal aim of the BSSA is to drive market growth for stainless steel in the UK and Ireland. For the BSSA to be effective it needs to draw on a wide membership from across the stainless industry and related areas. With about 160 members, we are fortunate to have a good cross-section from the industry including producers, distributors, processors and fabricators.
The main benefits for members are:
- To have your company's full details listed on our very popular website and for your products and services to appear in the Find a Supplier section; Members who deal in special grades can be included in the very popular article Special Grades of Stainless Steel - Where to Find Them.
- Free access to the Stainless Steel Advisory Service; technical advice and help available by phone, email or fax.
- To get sales leads; the BSSA receives hundreds of enquiries each year that are related to sourcing of products and services – member companies are always recommended first.
- Receive the BSSA monthly e-Newsletter, keeping you up to date with new developments in the market and industry events.
- Generous discounts for events, training and publications.
- To be part of the BSSA network of companies that represent all parts of the stainless steel supply chain and to contribute your ideas for the development of the market.
- To have the opportunity to participate in a range of committees and working parties including the Board, Marketing & Technical Committee, Industry Forum, Finishing Section and market sector groups such as the Water Industry, Architecture, Building and Construction.
- The BSSA represents the interests of its members and the wider stainless steel industry to government through its membership of the Metals Forum, an alliance of the leading ferrous and non-ferrous trade associations.
- Benefit from links to Europe and beyond; the BSSA is an active member of Euro Inox, the European Stainless Steel Development Association, and the ISSF, International Stainless Steel Forum and other market development organisations across the world.
- Since 2007, the BSSA has joined forces with Independent Buyers Ltd, a leading procurement support business to run a purchasing consortium on behalf of our members. They already run several such consortia across the UK and are able to offer advice and support on all areas of procurement, and give members access to their existing purchase agreements. If you are interested in finding out more click here.
- Access to the members’ area of the website.
Becoming a Member
Application for membership of the BSSA is open to companies and associations trading or working with stainless steel from an office or institution registered in the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland.
Companies which are part of a larger group are treated as individual entities if they are located separately or engaged in different activities.
The membership year runs from 1 January to 31 December and companies joining part way through the year would pay a fee proportionate to the number of months remaining.
General membership fees fall into 5 fee bands determined by stainless steel related turnover:
There is an additional one-off joining fee of £75 + VAT.
Producers, distributors and raw material associations may be requested to pay a higher fee, based upon their overall share of the stainless steel market in the UK. The minimum fee for producers (firms who manufacture and sell primary forms of stainless steel) is £2,000 + VAT.
Companies providing goods and services to the stainless steel industry supply chain may join as Affiliated Members; the fee is £1,000 + VAT.
Fees are reviewed annually by the BSSA Board.
Click here to download our Becoming a Member of the BSSA/ Benefits of Membership information page.
Click here to download our Membership Application Form.
Alternatively, if you would like to enquire further about membership please complete the on-line membership enquiries form or contact Kate Vale on tel: 0114 267 1260; fax: 0114 266 1252 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.